Friday, August 20, 2010

Anticipation is everything

On Friday we finally got confirmation that our sea freight would be delivered on Monday. It had taken a bit of pleading for that to happen as I start work Tuesday and had already informed my new employer I'd be working some four day weeks due to prior commitments. I really didn't want to add another half day for the freight delivery, especially as it was already heading for five weeks late.

Anyway I've noticed that in the last 24 hours I've had a constant low buzz of excitement over all our things arriving. It probably helps that Nick flew out to New Zealand yesterday and wont be back until next Friday. He's very anxious about where we are going to put everything, and while the number of boxes concerns me (40 odd) I know what I packed and am pretty sure it should be OK. For instance I know that my one box of Christmas decorations took four boxes to pack in tissue etc (they are going into storage) I also know as the Sallies, Vinnies and my children's flat can attest that there was a serious cull of our kitchen and linen cupboards as well as the bookcases.

Today I've been sorting through the cupboards moving excess and extras to a couple of high inaccessible shelves and a cupboard that is so difficult to open, Nick didn't even realise it existed! When the movers packed I'd reduced our kitchen to one of the double cupboards under the wooden bench plus a shelf of storage containers in the pantry. I've easily cleared that much space in the kitchen already. The plan is to have it all sorted and put away before he gets back Friday, with the exception of his projector and home theatre system. And in the meantime I'm anticipating the pleasure of not having to make do.

We have already developed a bit of routine on Saturday mornings - housework and changing beds, laundry and then off to the market. This morning as I was about to strip the bed, I realised I could wait until Monday when my high count cotton sheets arrived, I couldn't find a clean tea towel (we only have three and Jon had used two to wipe up a spill) and remembered that the I had packed some (including the cool NZ themed ones from the Blendy boxes). I was making breakfast thinking only two more days and I'll have my coffee machine and grinder - need I say more?

Then as I walked through the market I went to stop at a couple of places to look for a vintage tablecloth and a couple of pieces of cheap jewelry, and remembered "my stuff will be here Monday!" All my jewelry, all my shoes, all my nail polish (well except for the ones my daughters sneaked off with) my full size skin care products, the rest of my work clothes, the flower vases, the decorative things made or gifted by good friends. The fabric of a living space that will move our black and white apartment from a hotel to home.

As for Jon - he keeps asking when his takahe cushion will arrive, and his DS, and his books, and the rest of his DVD's and games. He's also looking forward to having his bike. He wanted to have a friend stay the night and I could suggest next weekend when he will have all his things including sleeping bags etc.

And last but not least - there's the expectation of opening boxes and finding things I'd missed without even being fully aware of it and knowing we are one step closer to "settling in".

No comments: