Wednesday, July 7, 2010

How about an N plate?

Standing at the Post Office recently I noticed the three different learner plates you use in Queensland to go the different licensing stages. It has regularly occurred to me while driving in a new car, a new city, or even with a very new driver that it would be useful if there was a plate that indicated to the world at large that this person might not be totally smooth and sure.

The other day as I navigated my way through central Brisbane, I decided maybe N for new would be an option. It wasn't that I was driving badly but that I occasionally slowed down while I looked for a street sign, or got caught out by lane markings. I know I will manage that particular trip fine next time - because now I know that rather than a left exit to go over the road to get to the new bridge, its a right exit. This means I wont have to get across three lanes of traffic to get where I'm supposed to be. I also know that the new bridge exits before the older bridge (in my head they were the other way around). Likewise I now know when driving to the really big shopping centre on the other side of the river that there are two lanes that go straight ahead and two lanes that veer right - so next time I'll be in the left lane that veers right rather than the right lane that goes straight ahead.

Several people suggested that we get a GPS to help us find our way around. Nick has duly done this and relies on it. After it tried taking me a VERY long way round to get Jon's school uniform on Friday I have taken to using Google Maps on my iphone to give me a visual start and then let the GPS re-calculate the route once I am well started. I also think it tends to stop you paying attention to the landmarks etc as you are listening to it rather than thinking about where you are. The GPS has some other significant failings as well - it navigated us into a tunnel and lost the signal so couldn't tell us to take the first tunnel exit (it was several km long) and worst of all - why cant someone invent one that responds to voice. It would make so much more sense if you could simply say an address and it calculated the route. Or you could say "roadworks" and it would find an alternate route.

In the meantime - I grabbed a copy of the Queensland road code so we could double check all the things we thought we knew and make sense of some strange signs. That way when we apply for a Queensland drivers license in the next couple of weeks it will feel honest :)

No comments: