Sunday, July 4, 2010

Things I miss about my kitchen

I've just decided that I'm going to try and get into posting the small random moments about our big move rather than try and write major significant posts. A bit like my friends who are doing a photo a day.
Anyway what's kind of on top for me today are all the things that I miss about my kitchen. For an apartment the kitchen is awesome but despite that:
  1. No waste disposal - I remember missing that in the apartment in Wellington as well but I'd have thought being so new this apartment would have a waste disposal in the second sink
  2. Which leads to - no compost heap - most of our food scraps went on the compost heap anyway (before anyone gets into me about the environmental friendliness of waste disposers) Jon and I are muttering about maybe a worm farm.
  3. The light switch - there are two but they are on the outside of dividing walls - i.e. you have to go out of the kitchen to turn them on. Which is irritating around five at night when it suddenly gets dark and you are used to just being able to put your hand out to turn on the switch. Especially as about exactly where you'd expect the switch to be, there is a phone socket.
  4. The rangehood/ extractor pulls out - at about eye level - over the stove top. It must be designed for a five foot zero cook!
  5. I miss my big stock pot, frying pan and decent knives which are fortunately all coming by sea freight in about four weeks
  6. The cutlery drawer is in the wrong place although I think that is just habit - I have to go behind left when I am getting the teaspoon for my coffee instead of behind right. But after seven years of doing it one way several times a day..
  7. And of course the very worst - I'm hanging out for my coffee machine and grinder! (Also currently at sea or languishing at Brisbane customs)
On the plus side - the dishwasher is a dishdrawer just like at home, which I think I would have missed. The oven and gas cooktop are awesome (seeing I had to leave my new oven behind) and it takes very little cleaning. Plus in the absolute absence of cookbooks I discovered Epicurious on my iphone which is brilliant having provided us with two dinner recipes and a yummy brownie recipe already. And the wonder kitchen shop three doors down has not only provided me with my favorite type of vegetable peeler but also stocks the Babushka measuring cups I was lusting over at Wanda Harland's before I left. So I'm sure I'll survive the minor irritations for now.

No comments: