Monday, October 20, 2008

Picking daisies...the garden

One of my resolutions, if you could call them that, for having a better quality of life is to take the moments to appreciate the garden. Because there is usually something beautiful to find there.



This past weekend I was faced with the annual decision about the iris that grows along the front of one of the borders. I think it probably started at the base of the tree and has spread. I really need to take them out and maybe move them but they seem to flower just as I get my spring gardening burst and I can't bear to disturb them. They are such a beautiful purple blue - a colour it is hard for the camera to capture.

The motivating factor this year is all the annuals I planted behind them. I'm feeling particularly pleased that the poppies have taken so well in that spot. One of my many failings as a gardener is that I make emotional choices about what I plant. Poppies are one of my favorite flowers from the time I was about five years old. We were living in Oteramika (about half an hour out of Invercargill) and I can remember watching the poppies out the window while I was sick in bed. I liked the combination of the bright colours, their dark heart and the papery texture of their petals. The first time I tried to grow them in our previous house they were all stolen, but I've had more success here. This one isn't standing tall and hasn't got a dark centre but it's still beautiful and looks like the first of many. Poppies are a real picking daisies flower that you have to stop and appreciate in the moment as they dont last long.

As well as the poppies the other flowers that always find a home in my garden are pansies.
Like poppies I can still remember when I first decided that pansies were beautiful flowers. I was only about three years old and was playing in the garden of our house in Rawene when I stopped to admire the pansies in a border. I've only just realised they have a dark centre too - maybe this is some deep Fruedian thought.
I should have planted more of these pansies in this spot ... I have scattered the contents of the punnet all over the garden.

No comments: